Most Au Gratin potato recipes take a while to cook but the first step is a great time saver that helps provide lovely texture.
Time: 10min prep, 20min cook Serves: 4
- 6 small potatoes (I used baby Yukon golds), sliced thin – about 1/8″
- 1 1/2 cups milk (approximately – enough to cover potatoes in a saucepan)
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- 2 green onions, trimmed & chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reserve 1/4 cup
- 2 tbsp Parmesan
- sea salt & black pepper, freshly ground – to taste
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- Place sliced potatoes in medium saucepan. Pour milk over top. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender – be careful not to scorch milk and that potatoes don’t stick to the bottom. Once tender, strain potatoes, reserving 3/4 cup milk.
- Put milk back into saucepan over low heat adding 1 tbsp butter, 3/4 cup shredded cheddar, onions and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add potatoes and toss to coat.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tbsp butter in microwave and toss with bread crumbs.
- Transfer potatoes and cheese mixture to pie plate. Top with remaining cheddar cheese, bread crumbs and sprinkle Parmesan over top. Bake for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top.