As I often do, I studied some recipes & put my own spin on them. The results were just downright delicious. This makes eating your veggies rather enjoyable.
Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
- 4 whole medium-large red tomatoes
- 6 oz. fresh spinach, chopped fine
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup (or a bit less) water
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (garlic & herb)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (Panko), plus a couple pinches
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- a couple pinches of salt
- cooking spray
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut the tops off whole tomatoes. Carefully scoop out inside of tomato leaving wall about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and turn upside down on a dish.
- Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat, be sure to coat entire pan. Add spinach and garlic. Mix well & allow to cook for about two minutes. Add water & wine and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Prepare baking dish by spraying cooking spray.
- Remove spinach & garlic from heat and pour into small mixing bowl. Add Parmesan, Feta, and bread crumbs (all but the extra pinches). Mix well. Add extra cheese and/or bread crumbs as needed/desired.
- Spoon mixture into tomatoes til they are past the brim and round the tops. Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they do not brown too much. Allow them to cool a bit as they pack a lot of heat just out of the oven.
- These can be made into appetizers using smaller tomatoes such as the cherry variety.