I was amazed at the flavor of this sauce! I usually make my marinara with olive oil and I know I love butter but WOW!
Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 stick – 8tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves (fresh, or 4 dried)
- pinch crushed red pepper
- 4 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms (optional)
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes & liquid, cut into smaller pieces by sticking kitchen shears into can)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs, roughly chopped (I used basil and chives)
How to make it
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute for about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, and red pepper and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in fresh herbs at last 2 minutes. Discard bay leaves before serving.