I wanted to do something different with green beans to serve alongside a dinner sandwich. These are crispy & crunchy on the outside and tender in the center.
Time: 20min prep, 15min cook Serves: 4
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 1 large egg
- splash milk
- 1 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chile powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste – spicy)
- cooking spray
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring a medium stock pot of salted water to boil. Add green beans and allow to cook for 4 minutes. Transfer beans to a colander and run under cold water until completely cooled, or plunge into an ice water bath. Set aside.
- Set up a breading station like an assembly line. Put the flour in a bowl and season with salt & pepper.
- Put egg and milk in another bowl, whisk together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put Panko in another bowl with garlic, onion, and chile powders, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Dip each bean in flour, shake off excess. Then, dip in egg mixture and finally into Panko mix. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all green beans are breaded.
- Spray beans lightly with cooking spray. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, I chose Horseradish Dipping Sauce.