Macaroni and cheese is most certainly a favorite dish in this household. We’ve tried countless recipes but hands down our favorite is my beau’s Aunt Sherae’s version of baked mac & cheese. I’ve mixed it up a bit from time to time with variations like Port Wine Cheddar Mac & Cheese and Cajun Mac & Cheese. This time around I used one of my absolute favorite cheeses at the moment, Herb & Spice Havarti, along with some veggies and it was rich and delicious.
- 8 oz. cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente – drained & set aside
- 4 tbsp butter
- 12 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced or diced
- 2 tbsp AP flour
- 1 tbsp spicy brow or Dijon mustard
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup herb and spice havarti cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Italian cheese blend, shredded
- 11 oz. fresh baby spinach roughly torn
- sea salt & black pepper, freshly ground – to taste
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare a casserole dish (6×8 or 8×8) or individual serving dishes (ramekins) with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large skillet or medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add flour and stir quickly to incorporate. Next, add the milk and mustard, whisking to incorporate. Heat until it comes to a low boil. Reduce to low and whisk to smooth out.
- Add about 3/4 cup of each type of shredded cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Stir well until completely melted and thick.
- Remove from heat. Add drained pasta and spinach and carefully fold to combine and mix well.
- Pour into prepared dishes. Top with remaining cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, until bubbling. Switch oven to broil 425F and move dish to top rack. Broil for 2-3 minutes until top is just golden brown.
Time: Serves: 4-6