We had friends over for dinner and I wanted to bake something that wouldn’t take too much time, effort, or make a huge mess in the kitchen. This fit the bill and more. It’s perfectly sweet with a crunchy, crumbly topping. I can imagine any ripe, sweet berries would work with this recipe.
Time: 15 min prep, 45 min cook Serves: 6
- 1 pound strawberries, cut into chunks
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance spread (or butter/margarine), melted & cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- vanilla ice cream for serving, optional but delicious!
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare an 8×8 glass casserole with cooking spray.
- Spread strawberries out evenly in casserole dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, egg, Earth Balance and vanilla. Mix just until a crumbly dough begins to form.
- Pour dough evenly over strawberries, trying to get up along the edges too. Lightly pat down with a wooden spoon.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream as I did, or enjoy it at room temp. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.