I got the inspiration for this meal from a recipe shared on Pinterest. I took the idea and ran with it and the two of us really liked it. I made these on my indoor grill. Adjust cooking temps as needed for outdoor grilling.
Time: 30 min + chill Serves: 4
Japanese Steakhouse Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp melted Earth Balance (or butter/margarine)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Sriracha – or to your tastes
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsl lemon juice
- 1 tbsp red wine/rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1-2 tsp liquid smoke
- crushed red pepper, to taste
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, filleted
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & sliced into chunks
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets (about 2 cups) and chunks of stalk
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 2 cups snow pea pods
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water + 1-2 tsp cornstarch to make a slurry
- (second portion of marinade)
How to make it
- Start by making the sauce the night before you’re planning to prepare this meal so the flavors can marry together. The sauce is meant for dipping the chicken into but it tastes really good with the rice & veggies too.
- Combine all ingredients. Mix well to incorporate. Chill in refrigerator in an air-tight container until ready to use.
- In a small, non-reactive mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, water, oil, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, mustard, liquid smoke and red pepper. Whisk to incorporate. Divide into two portions.
- Place chicken in a sealable plastic bag. Pour one portion of marinade over. Let out most of the air, seal, and refrigerate. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes – 4 hours. Let rest on counter for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat grill on high. Place chicken breasts on grill and cover. Reserve marinade. Cook for 5 minutes. Baste with marinade. Turn & cook for 5 minutes. Baste, turn and cook 2 minutes. Again, baste and turn, cook for another 2 minutes. Check for doneness.
- Add vegetable and sesame oils to a large skillet. Heat over medium-high. Add carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add zucchini, pea pods, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Take second portion of the soy sauce marinade mixture and pour into skillet over veggies. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add cornstarch slurry, stirring, until sauce has thickened up. Remove from heat.
- I served this with Basmati rice drizzled with a bit of toasted sesame oil and a sprinkling of Gomasio (sesame seeds, sea salt, seaweed).