Fresh blueberries are showcased in these fluffy pancakes and lovely sauce. Feel free to sub in your favorite berries, or a mixture.
Time: 30 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2 baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/3 cups milk, more by the tbsp if needed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp butter, melted & cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 pints fresh blueberries, washed and picked over
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 granulated sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- whipped dessert topping, if desired
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 200F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift together flours, baking powder & soda, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour in milk, egg, butter, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Heat a lightly or buttered griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Scoop batter, using approximately 1/3 cup for each pancake, onto the griddle or pan.
- Turn when bubbles form on surface and edges begin to dry and cook on other side for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to lined baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm while cooking remaining pancakes.
- Combine berries, lemon juice, sugar, and water in a medium non-reactive saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until blueberries begin to break down and juices boil and thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and cover to keep warm.
- To serve, divide pancakes – 2 on each plate. Divide sauce between plates. Top with whipped dessert topping if desired.