One of my dearest friend’s, Ashley, and I made this on my birthday last month. It’s a riff on another friend’s recipe. I am in love with the flavor combo of lemon and blueberry so to me this is pure perfection!
Time: 30 minutes + 90 bake + cool Serves: 8-10
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 30 Canelitas cookies (Mexican cinnamon cookies), processed to crumbs equaling 2 1/2 cups
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 13 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 32 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
Here are the Canelita cookies. And me! With my Mexican feast and delicious cocktail. Not a bad way to spend a birthday, not at all.
How to make it
- Combine cookie crumbs, cinnamon, and melted butter (reserve one tbsp) in a mixing bowl.
- Spread remaining tbsp of melted butter on bottom and sides of a 6-inch spring-form pan. Sprinkle brown sugar around bottom.
- Press cookie crumb mixture into the bottom of the spring-form pan. Press down to make an even crust, going up the sides to create a deep-dish effect.
- Wrap pan in aluminum foil to prevent the water bath from seeping in. Place in refrigerator to firm up while you make the filling.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Put a pot of water on to simmer.
- Place cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Continue beating, and gradually add 3/4 cup sugar. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition. Mix in the lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, 1/4 tsp salt and heavy cream until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, with clean dry beaters, combine egg whites, 1/3 tsp salt, and cream of tartar. Begin to beat, gradually adding remaining 3/4 cup sugar. Beat until soft peaks form, about 3-5 minutes. Do not over-beat.
- In three parts, fold egg white mixture into cream cheese mixture.
- Remove pan from refrigerator. Place pan in a large roasting pan and pour hot water around it, going about 3/4 up the sides.
- Place in middle rack of oven and bake for 90 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, place in refrigerator for at least two hours before you plan to serve.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups of blueberries, sugar, and lemon zest in a small saucepan. Cook on medium heat for 6-8 minutes until the berries burst. Remove from heat and stir in remaining berries. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled completely, spread over top of cooled cheesecake.